Prize money soars at Open Championship
The winner of next month's British Open at Muirfield in Scotland will pocket 945,000 pounds ($1.4 million), up 45,000 pounds ($68,600) from last year.ST. ANDREWS, Scotland -- The winner of next month's British Open at Muirfield in Scotland will pocket 945,000 pounds ($1.4 million), up 45,000 pounds ($68,600) from last year.
The Royal & Ancient, which organizes the major tournament, says on Thursday the total prize money will be 5.25 million pounds ($8 million) -- an increase of 250,000 pounds ($380,000) from 2012.
Ernie Els will defend his title at the British Open, which starts on July 18.
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Mountain lion caught on camera in Hollywood Hlls 28 min ago
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug 21 min ago
- Boat crashes into rocks near Oyster Point Marina
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Groups protest chemicals used in iPhone 53 min ago
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos