Brewers outfielder Nyjer Morgan practices with the Sharks
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- The San Jose Sharks had a special guest on Wednesday at practice -- Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Nyjer Morgan -- or his alter ego "Tony Plush." He threw on some skates and showed off his skills. I was there and saw that Nyjer has a little game.
Don't let Morgan fool you. He was born in San Francisco and was a huge Sharks fan growing up in San Jose. He left town at 16 for Regina, Canada to play junior hockey and he was like a little kid on Wednesday with the Sharks.
"Obviously, to be out there to skate with my childhood team, and just to be out there with the boys was an unbelievable feeling," said Morgan.
Morgan, or his alter ego, Tony Plush, impressed the men in teal.
"He did a good job, scored on one of the breakaways, so he showed some skill. He's got some skill out there," said Sharks center Joe Thornton.
Coach Todd McClellan was asked if Morgan would be a good fit for this team.
"I've seen his passion and his energy when he gets on the ball field and if that converts onto anything on the ice, we absolutely will, but I do know one thing, he won't be in a shootout," said McClellan.
A lot of professional athletes could have gone pro in other sports and I think Morgan fits into that category.
"Eventually it was one of those things where I had to realize which one's going to work out and eventually I had to go to school. So that's why I went to school and ended up going to play baseball," said Morgan.
Tony Plush would actually be a great hockey name.
san jose sharks, hockey, mike shumann
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Sunnyvale's 'Blue Cube' gets torn down 37 min ago
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Crews placing grass at 49ers' Levi's Stadium
- Hydrants painted to mark contributions to 1906 fires
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed 49 min ago