Sharks return home to beat Flyers 1-0
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Sharks 1, Flyers 0
Ryane Clowe scored the lone goal early in the first period and Antti Niemi made it stand up with 26 saves for his fifth shutout as the San Jose Sharks returned home from a grueling road trip and beat the Philadelphia Flyers 1-0 on Tuesday night.
The Sharks had gone 2-6-1 on the 17-day trip that knocked them out of first place in the Pacific Division and into a precarious position for a playoff berth.
With little room for error in the final quarter of the season, the Sharks managed to hold on thanks to a strong bounceback performance by Niemi to beat the Flyers for the ninth straight time.
Niemi lost four of five games on the trip and didn't even make it out of the first period in two of those games.
san jose sharks, hockey
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation 59 min ago
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead
- Free dental care offered at SJ Convention Center
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Plan to cut down trees in East Bay Hills under review
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
42 min ago