Sharks topple Flames 4-1
CALGARY, Alberta -- Patrick Marleau scored a pair of goals Sunday to lead the San Jose Sharks to a 4-1 win over the Calgary Flames in the season-opener for both teams.
Martin Havlat and defenseman Dan Boyle also scored for the Sharks during a three-goal second period.
Joe Thornton and Joe Pavelski each had a pair of assists.
Lee Stempniak scored for Calgary, which led 1-0 after the opening period.
With the victory, the Sharks spoiled the debut of new Flames coach Bob Hartley.
As other NHL teams have done at home openers to soothe hurt fan feelings after the lockout, the Flames discounted food, drink and merchandise Sunday. The stores at the Saddledome were doing a brisk business 90 minutes prior to the game.
san jose, san jose sharks, nhl, hockey
- Two fires break out near each other in Hayward 53 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 12 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos