Sharks topple Flames 4-1
CALGARY, Alberta -- Patrick Marleau scored a pair of goals Sunday to lead the San Jose Sharks to a 4-1 win over the Calgary Flames in the season-opener for both teams.
Martin Havlat and defenseman Dan Boyle also scored for the Sharks during a three-goal second period.
Joe Thornton and Joe Pavelski each had a pair of assists.
Lee Stempniak scored for Calgary, which led 1-0 after the opening period.
With the victory, the Sharks spoiled the debut of new Flames coach Bob Hartley.
As other NHL teams have done at home openers to soothe hurt fan feelings after the lockout, the Flames discounted food, drink and merchandise Sunday. The stores at the Saddledome were doing a brisk business 90 minutes prior to the game.
san jose, san jose sharks, nhl, hockey
- One dead, another critical in San Francisco fire 42 min ago
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station 53 min ago
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery 25 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Youth coach sentenced; SF two-alarm fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos