Flames acquire, then ink defenseman Wideman
The Calgary Flames acquired defenseman Dennis Wideman from the Washington Capitals on Wednesday in exchange for AHL defenseman Jordan Henry and a fifth-round pick in the 2013 NHL draft.
Wideman had 11 goals and 35 assists in 82 games for Washington last season. He was eligible to become an unrestricted free agent Sunday, but agreed to a five-year contract with Calgary on Wednesday worth $5.25 million per year, according to the Flames.
Henry had two goals, nine assists and 97 penalty minutes in 68 games in the AHL last season. He also can enter free agency Sunday.
The move comes one day after Washington named Adam Oates its new head coach.Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Emergency officials monitor Wichita-area tornado
- Fremont roadway closed after car strikes utility pole 33 min ago
- Cespedes homer helps A's complete sweep of Royals 9 min ago
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home 47 min ago
- Spurs rout Grizzlies 105-83 in West finals opener
- Warriors PG Stephen Curry set to receive key to city
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife 10 min ago
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos