Jets' Redmond has surgery for cut artery in leg
Winnipeg Jets rookie defenseman Zach Redmond has undergone surgery to repair a laceration to an artery in his right leg after a teammate accidentally stepped on him during the club's morning skate on Thursday.RALEIGH, N.C. -- Winnipeg Jets rookie defenseman Zach Redmond underwent surgery Thursday to repair a laceration to an artery in his right leg after a teammate accidentally stepped on him during the club's morning skate on Thursday.
The injury occurred near the end of practice when Redmond tripped and landed on his back. The teammate then stepped on Redmond with his skate, opening a sizeable wound in Redmond's mid-thigh region -- cutting the femoral artery.
"You can't really put it into words what goes through your mind when a teammate is hurt like that on the ice," Blake Wheeler said. "I think all you can really do is just try to channel those emotions into going out and putting your best foot forward and trying to win for one of your teammates."
Redmond was rushed to the hospital and underwent a three-hour operation, the team said. The Jets added that Redmond was resting comfortably and will be out indefinitely.
"It was just a really bad feeling seeing a teammate in pain and sitting on the ice like that," Andrew Ladd said. "It's not something you ever want to see."
The 24-year-old Redmond has played in eight games this season. He has one goal, three assists and 12 penalty minutes.
The Jets went on to beat the Carolina Hurricanes 4-3 on Thursday night.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Man arrested after standoff in San Francisco
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Consumer Reports tests gray hair touch up products
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Boy struck by car 50 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos