Stars' Benn fined $10,000 for cross-checking
The NHL has fined Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn $10,000 for cross-checking Edmonton Oilers forward Ryan Jones from behind in a game on Thursday night.
With about four minutes left to play in the Oilers' 5-1 win, Benn skated up to Jones from behind and cross-checked him in the upper back. Jones, who was heading to the penalty box for goaltender interference, dropped to the ice and stayed down for about two minutes before heading to the locker room.
It was a first-time offense for Benn, who was assessed a major penalty and a game misconduct for the cheap shot. The fine was the maximum for a first offender.
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 5 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Little progress made in search for missing...
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos