Bruins president: Chiarelli earned extension
Bruins president Cam Neely says that GM Peter Chiarelli has certainly proved his worth.
BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins have a vision, and the organization has made it clear that general manager Peter Chiarelli will be the person who leads it into the future.
On Friday, the Bruins officially announced Chiarelli's four-year contract extension through the 2017-18 season. Chiarelli had one year remaining on his current deal.
Under Chiarelli's tenure in Boston, the Bruins have reached the postseason in six of seven seasons, including two trips to the finals and a Stanley Cup championship in 2011.
"He's done a fantastic job as a GM since he's been here and certainly deserves the extension," Bruins president Cam Neely said. "We've made the postseason the last six years, and one of the things we talk about here [is] being a Boston Bruin is not just making the postseason but competing for a Stanley Cup. We've been to the finals twice, won in 2011, and Pete's done a really good job of keeping our core group together, identifying the core group, making sure we lock them up. He's done a really good job of understanding the type of player our fan base really enjoys watching."
While the Bruins have enjoyed consistent success, Chiarelli says he believes improvements can be made and his goal is to contend for the Cup each season.
"We will continue to have challenges as a team, and that's a good thing," Chiarelli said. "Our challenges are now at a level that we compete for the Stanley Cup and we want to compete for the Stanley Cup every year. It's my mandate, my charge to do that."
Chiarelli, sporting his 2011 Stanley Cup ring during Friday morning's news conference at TD Garden, said the organization has achieved many of its goals in the last six seasons, but that there's more to come.
"We're thrilled to have him and have him extended another four years, which gives him five more years with us," Neely said.
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case 51 min ago
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Officials investigating acid spill at...
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos