'The Ghost' wants to fight a giant
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Gilroy's own Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero just got back from Las Vegas with two new title belts. He's looking for a big name opponent and he's got Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather on his radar.
Guerrero gave Michael Katsidis the beatdown of his career 10 days ago in Las Vegas, winning the WBA and WBO lightweight title belts.
"Before the fight, he was asking me what I was looking at. After that he was speechless. I hurt him a couple of times and I dropped some vicious combinations on him. It made me think, 'What's this guy eating rocks?' I think I gave him the worst beating of his life," said Guerrero.
The victory earned "The Ghost" his 5th world title, but he's still looking for that mega fight that would elevate him to an elite status. Some say he doesn't have the knockout power that promoters are looking for or that big name. Fighters are dodging him.
"What makes people not want to fight me is the attributes that I carry: I'm a left hander, I'm 5' 9", [I have a] 71-inch reach and I'm a difficult fighter in the ring," said Guerrero.
The 28-year-old is willing to move up to the welterweight division where there are some big names waiting.
"There's a Pacquiao fight out there, there's a Mayweather fight out there, and the fans want to see it," said Guerrero.
The Ghost is willing to take on any of these champions because his mantra is, "You can't hit what you can't see."
sports, mike shumann
- One dead, another critical in San Francisco fire 4 min ago
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station 3 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Youth coach sentenced; SF two-alarm fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos