England vs. Mexico soccer match coming to AT&T Park
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The San Francisco Giants won't be the only world champions playing at AT&T Park this summer. Get ready for international soccer.
England's Manchester City team is set to take on Mexico's Club America team on July 16th as part of the 2011 Herbalife World Football Challenge.
The Manchester City team recently won the FA Cup. Officials say putting the match in AT&T Park will bring Bay Area soccer fans closer to the action.
"AT&T Park seemed like the perfect opportunity. It seemed like a lot more intimate setting, with only 41,000 and they're going to bring grass in for the infield," said Marcus Hahnemann from the US National Soccer Team.
The San Francisco game is one of 11 matches being held nationwide this summer between various international teams.
at&t park, sports
- San Jose suing MLB for not allowing A's to move
- Accused naked BART attacker appears in court
- One dead in Sunnyvale house fire on Central Avenue
- Interest rates for subsidized loans may double July 1
- Fairfield grass fire spreads to nearby motel
- Fire burns 50 acres in Benicia
- Hayward BART reopens after fatality on track
- Sacramento discusses self-driving car regulations
- Tenderloin apartment building roof fire extinguished
- SF approves new regulations for food trucks 44 min ago
- Concord police arm car owners with Clubs
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: Colma BART fatality; Fatal house fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday