Investigation: Gaelic football player in coma in SF
TREASURE ISLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A football player from Ireland is in a coma in San Francisco after an on-field incident during a game this past weekend.
San Francisco police are trying to figure out just how 22-year-old Mark McGovern was injured. Mcgovern came to the U.S. for the summer to play Gaelic football, a game that is a mixture of rugby and soccer, with the San Francisco Gaelic Athletic Association.
He was hurt during a match Saturday on Treasure Island and suffered a brain injury. Mcgovern's coach says the team has identified the opposing player involved.
San Francisco police are still searching for eyewitnesses.
treasure island, crime, sports
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos