SaberCat QB has an impressive impact in arena football
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- The San Jose SaberCats have quietly returned to arena football after a two year break. The cats are lead by quarterback Mark Grieb, who reminds me of one of my former teammates for what he's done throughout his career.
Grieb has been a perfect fit for the SaberCats. He was a three-sport sports star at San Jose's Oak Grove High School and played college ball at U.C. Davis. But after a two year hiatus from the game, his head coach wasn't sure if he could lure mark back.
"Once I called him and told him we were going to have a team, he was excited. I was going to ask him to coach, but he wanted to play," said SaberCats head coach Darren Arbet.
"l love competing and I love this game. You get a feeling from playing this game like nothing else that you do," said Grieb.
This is Grieb's 11th season in San Jose. He's a three-time arena bowl champion, two-time arena bowl MVP, and holds every passing record for the SaberCats. He's the Joe Montana of arena football and his teammates just love him.
"He's the best. He's a great teammate, leader, meets with us on the field, off the field, can't ask for anything else," said SaberCats wide receiver Burl Toler.
"He comes out every day and competes and he's working and he's constantly getting better and I think that his love for the game is something that rubs off on everybody," said SaberCats defensive lineman George Hypolite.
This 36-year-old knows his career is coming to a close and he's prepared for a new chapter in his life with his wife and twin daughters.
"Last year, I taught 10th grade science and I'll go back to that and I'll continue to coach. I know that some day when the time is right, I'm going to go into coaching," said Grieb.
Grieb has thrown 70 touchdown passes this year, becoming the only player in league history to throw 70 or more touchdown passes in eight consecutive seasons. The SaberCats host Orlando in HP Pavilion on Saturday night.
san jose, sports, mike shumann
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday