Fire postpones Pikes Peak International climb
The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb has been postponed because of extreme weather and safety concerns due to a destructive wildfire near Colorado Springs.COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb has been postponed because of extreme weather and safety concerns due to a destructive wildfire near Colorado Springs.
Shifting wind has been fueling the fire that has destroyed some homes and prompted evacuations of an estimated 35,000 people.
Racing officials say 211 competitors from around the world were expected to participate at the 90th Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, originally scheduled for July 8. Organizers said Wednesday they hope to announce within two weeks a new date for the event this summer.
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6 43 min ago
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2 59 min ago
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- Miami Heat player surprises student at prom
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos