FC Gold Pride preps for league championship
HAYWARD, CA (KGO) -- This Sunday in Hayward, FC Gold Pride takes on Philadelphia for the Women's Professional Soccer League Championship.
On Friday, Gold Pride forward Tiffeny Milbrett put on a clinic at Redding Elementary School in San Francisco.
Milbrett and Chicago Red Stars defender Natalie Spilger teamed up to work with kids from the local American Scores chapter.
American Scores is an afterschool program that uses soccer to empower students in urban communities.
The FC Gold Pride were regular season champions with a 16-3-5 record and as a result got a two-week bye before hosting the championship game.
"It's been a great season and we're just really excited that we get to host, we get a bye so we can rest up a little bit and just get ready for the big game," says defender Rachel Buehler.
"I think it's good. I think it's definitely an advantage for us in the fact that we get some good recovery, which is good cause people have knocks and injuries that you want to heal up," says midfielder Kiki Bosio.
How do you go from worst to first in one year?
"I think that we really have put in the hard work all season long, but it's a combination of different styles of play. Then we have a lot of different types of personalities that make it happen and having that variety is a winning combination," says center Kim Yokers.
Acquiring the best player in the world, Marta, doesn't hurt either. She led the league with 19 goals in 24 games and was named league MVP for the second year in a row.
"It's what she brings on and off the field, her work ethic, and her desire to compete and be the best. I've never come across a player like that in the men's or women's game," says head coach Albertin Montoya.
Marta's English is limited, but she knows where she's headed Sunday.
"Oh yea, I'm very excited for the championship game," says Marta.
"It's our time to paint our masterpiece. I think we are going to be able to do that in the finals," says Montoya.
The title game will be on Sunday at Cal State East Bay in Hayward at 11:30 a.m.
fc gold pride, soccer, mike shumann
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar 31 min ago
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame 5 min ago
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption 24 min ago
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Police visit homes of missing jetliner's...
55 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos