Judge refuses to dismiss Prop 8 suit
SAN FRANCISCO -- A federal judge in San Francisco Wednesday refused to dismiss a lawsuit challenging Proposition 8, California's ban on same-sex marriage.
U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker announced his decision early Wednesday afternoon following a morning hearing. The case will now go to trial on Jan. 11.
The lawsuit was filed in May by a lesbian couple from Berkeley and a gay couple from Burbank who claim the state law violates their federal constitutional rights.
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 22 min ago
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos