Judge refuses to dismiss Prop 8 suit
SAN FRANCISCO -- A federal judge in San Francisco Wednesday refused to dismiss a lawsuit challenging Proposition 8, California's ban on same-sex marriage.
U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker announced his decision early Wednesday afternoon following a morning hearing. The case will now go to trial on Jan. 11.
The lawsuit was filed in May by a lesbian couple from Berkeley and a gay couple from Burbank who claim the state law violates their federal constitutional rights.
- San Leandro police search for missing 10-year-old boy 37 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 20 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California! 24 min ago
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire