Calif. gets $84M for transportation improvements
The U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced today that California will receive $83.9 million in stimulus funds for transit improvements.
In the Bay Area, the biggest recipients of the funds are the San Francisco Municipal Railway, which will receive $18.2 million to rebuild and perform preventive maintenance on light rail vehicles, and BART, which will get $17 million for railcar and station equipment improvements.
In addition, the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority will get $12.3 million to buy 20 40-foot buses, the Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District will get $6.7 million for preventive maintenance on its buses, the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board will get $2.7 million for the San Mateo bridges project and the Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation Department will get $2.4 million to replace bus wash equipment.
Vallejo will receive $2.4 million to repair and rehabilitate the Vallejo Intermodal Station, San Mateo County Transit will get $2 million for preventive maintenance and the purchase of four replacement buses, the Eastern Contra Costa Transit Authority will get $1.1 million for preventive maintenance, the purchase of lifts and parking lot repairs, the Contra Costa Transit Authority will get $1.1 million for preventive maintenance, and the Livermore-Amador Valley Transit Authority will get $779,046 for preventive maintenance.
The city of Santa Rosa will receive $1 million to buy two hybrid electric buses, the Napa County Transportation Planning Agency will get $721,312 for bus rehabilitation and to buy shop equipment, and Sonoma County Transit will get $448,161 to replace a 40-foot bus.
U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer, D-California, said in a statement, "These critical investments will put Californians to work on transit projects that will ease congestion, improve air quality and speed Californians on their way to work and school."
VTA, muni, transportation, stimulus funds, california news
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well 29 min ago
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
26 min ago