State seeking $33M grant for NUMMI workers
SACRAMENTO, CA (KGO) -- California officials are asking for a $33 million federal grant to help thousands of workers who will lose their jobs when the NUMMI auto plant in Fremont shuts down on April 1.
California's Employment Development Department says the shutdown will affect more than 4,700 auto workers at NUMMI and 27,000 other Californians who work for NUMMI suppliers.
Toyota decided to stop making cars at the plant after General Motors pulled out of the joint venture last year.
fremont, nummi, toyota, unemployment, california news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos