37 arrested in NorCal gang takedown
YUBA CITY, CA -- More than three dozen suspected gang members have been arrested in a coordinated raid in six Northern California counties.
Thursday's crackdown is the latest jab by law enforcement to dismantle one of the region's largest gangs -- the Nortenos. State and local agents served search warrants from Yuba to Stanislaus counties and seized 25 firearms and 11 pounds of methamphetamine.
It follows a similar effort in Salinas known as "Operation Knockout," where nearly 100 gang members were arrested in April after that city saw a spate of killings over the past two years.
Authorities have arrested five gang members in recent weeks in connection with four separate slayings of rivals between March 2004 and July 2005.
gang violence, crime, northern california, california news
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area 15 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Dawson go-ahead field goal lifts 49ers by Seattle
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Winter Spare the Air called for today
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos