Boy shot after finding shotgun under parents' bed
SALINAS -- A 6-year-old boy was shot in a Salinas apartment Tuesday evening and remained at a Bay Area hospital in serious condition Wednesday night, Salinas police said.
Officers responded to reports of a shooting victim in the apartment complex of 2073 Santa Rita St. at about 5 p.m. Tuesday, and found the child suffering from a gunshot wound to the abdomen, police said.
The boy was transported to a nearby hospital, and was later flown by medical helicopter to a Bay Area hospital, where he remained in serious condition following surgery as of 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.
When looking underneath his parents' bed Tuesday evening, the young boy found a 12-gauge shotgun. His 12-year-old brother came across the boy and the gun, and tried to take it away from him, but the gun discharged, accidentally shooting the younger boy, police said.
The two boys were the only people home at the time of the shooting. Police are still investigating where the boys' parents were at the time.
Although detectives determined the shooting was accidental, the investigation has been passed into the hands of the Monterey County District Attorney's Office for their review.
The parents could possibly face charges for improper storage of a firearm. At this time, there are no criminal charges being filed against the 12-year-old boy, police said.
salinas, california news
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 36 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash 14 min ago