Eco-friendly LA school built on toxic site
LOS ANGELES (KGO) -- A brand new Los Angeles school designed to be eco-friendly and co-named after climate change advocate Al Gore sits on toxic soil.
The Los Angeles Times is reporting that the Carson-Gore Academy of Environmental Sciences was built on top of more than a dozen storage tanks from which industrial toxins are seeping.
Several tons of soil was hauled away over the weekend and officials have declared the school safe, but safety watchdogs say more soil may be contaminated.
al gore, los angeles, southern california, california news
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future 54 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events 51 min ago
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Deadline looms to complete Covered CA applications
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos