Unemployment rate climbs to 12.4 percent
California's unemployment rate climbed to 12.4 percent in August, which is up from 12.3 percent the previous month, according to the latest figures released by the state's Employment Development Department.
Unemployment rates in Bay Area counties averaged above 9 percent for the month, with the exception of Marin County, which had an unemployment rate of 8.4 percent.
Work involving construction and producing goods, also called nonfarm jobs, fell by 33,500 jobs across the state since August.
Two occupations -- mining and business services -- showed gains of about 500 jobs for the month of August, but nine others showed losses totaling about 34,000 jobs, according to the department.
The U.S. unemployment rate also increased this month, up to 9.6 percent for the month of August from 9.5 percent in July, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.
San Mateo and Napa counties showed better unemployment rates than the U.S. average, with 9.1 percent for San Mateo and 9.4 percent for Napa over the month.
Californians receiving regular unemployment insurance dropped by more than 45,650 people for the month of August. At the same time, more than 65,260 others submitted new applications for unemployment insurance over the same month.
economy, jobs, unemployment, california news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos