Feds say San Onofre nuke plant is getting safer
DANA POINT, Calif. -- Federal regulators say the San Onofre nuclear power plant is making progress on dealing with safety issues but an extra inspector will remain there until authorities are satisfied.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission put the San Diego County plant on notice in 2008 after learning that workers had falsified some records. Other problems were reported in recent years, including an accidental shutdown of a backup system.
The NRC announced last week that plant owner Southern California Edison has addressed concerns raised in the notice.
However, NRC spokeswoman Lara Uselding tells the North County Times that the plant will have three inspectors instead of the usual two while other concerns are addressed.
Edison says it's improved worker training and accountability programs. The utility also says the NRC's positive finding is encouraging.
nuclear weapons, southern california, california news
- Man killed after metal pipe crashes into car on I-580
- Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Oklahoma town
- Passenger vehicles face surprise inspections at SFO
- Crews control two-alarm grass fire in San Jose
- Overhead wire problems disrupt service on Muni 22 min ago
- UK officials: Radical Islam drives London attack 1 min ago
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 49ers Michael Crabtree tears right Achilles tendon
- IRS official Lois Lerner: I did nothing wrong
- Arias jury deadlocked but must keep deliberating
- Snacking deputy's crash costs Santa Clara Co. $5M
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Harvey Milk events; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos