Schwarzenegger comment infuriates Santos family
A homicide victim's mother is again condemning former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's decision to reduce the prison sentence of a man connected to her son's death.
For the second time in as many weeks, Kathy Santos is criticizing Schwarzenegger, this time because he told Newsweek magazine that he did it to "help a friend." The friend is former Assembly speaker Fabian Nunez, father of Esteban Nunez who was convicted of manslaughter.
"So I think this shows that he'd rather take care of a well-connected thug than to really believe in the justice system," said Santos.
Schwarzenegger told Newsweek that his office "definitely made a mistake in not notifying" the Santos family that he was reducing Nunez's sentence from 16 years to seven years. Last week when another reporter asked him about his decision, the former governor made a snoring sound.
The Santos family has filed a lawsuit seeking to have the original sentence re-imposed.
arnold schwarzenegger, crime, california news
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- Strong winds destroy boats at Oyster Point
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- Best methods for brewing coffee at home
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos