Schwarzenegger comment infuriates Santos family
A homicide victim's mother is again condemning former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's decision to reduce the prison sentence of a man connected to her son's death.
For the second time in as many weeks, Kathy Santos is criticizing Schwarzenegger, this time because he told Newsweek magazine that he did it to "help a friend." The friend is former Assembly speaker Fabian Nunez, father of Esteban Nunez who was convicted of manslaughter.
"So I think this shows that he'd rather take care of a well-connected thug than to really believe in the justice system," said Santos.
Schwarzenegger told Newsweek that his office "definitely made a mistake in not notifying" the Santos family that he was reducing Nunez's sentence from 16 years to seven years. Last week when another reporter asked him about his decision, the former governor made a snoring sound.
The Santos family has filed a lawsuit seeking to have the original sentence re-imposed.
arnold schwarzenegger, crime, california news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game 45 min ago
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Man fined $525 for refilling drink without paying 46 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- Firework thrown into bleachers during...
45 min ago