Children head to prisons on Father's Day
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Children from across California were bused to Bay Area prisons today to visit their dad in honor of Father's Day, according to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
More than 1,000 kids participated in the corrections department's 12th annual "Get On the Bus" event in conjunction with the Center for Restorative Justice Works.
Thirty buses took the kids to state prisons including San Quentin, Solano State Prison, and Salinas Valley State Prison, the corrections department said.
"Uniting fathers with their children helps to keep the family bond that will encourage inmates to change their behavior when they are eventually released into society," corrections Secretary Matthew Cate said in a statement.
The buses arrived at 8 a.m. so the prisons could accommodate all the kids, many of whom see their fathers just once a year.
Last month, children were bused to the state's three women's prisons for the 12th annual "Get on the Bus Mother's Day" event.
The program provides travel bags for the children, comfort bags for their caregivers, a photograph of each child with his or her parent, and meals for the day.
Each child received a teddy bear with a letter from his or her parent, plus post-event counseling.
Donations from churches, schools, family foundations and other organizations fund the programs, and transportation is provided by Silverado Stages Inc.
About 200,000 children currently have an incarcerated parent in California.
inmates, crime, california news
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death 52 min ago
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Paul Stanley: Kiss miffed at Rock Hall over snub
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in...
52 min ago
- Statewide AMBER Alert issued for abducted...
33 min ago
- Police visit homes of missing jetliner's...
25 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos