Art by Rembrandt stolen from California hotel
MARINA DEL RAY, Calif. -- A drawing by Rembrandt, valued at $250,000, was stolen from a hotel in Southern California in what sheriff's investigators said was a well-planned heist.
The pen-and-ink drawing, believed to be called "The Judgment," was nabbed Saturday night while a curator was distracted by a guest at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Marina del Rey, Los Angeles County Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said Sunday.
Detectives believe the theft occurred during a 15-minute window starting at 10:20 p.m.
"When the curator turned back to the Rembrandt, it was gone," Whitmore said, adding that it "was a well-thought-out, well-executed theft."
Investigators were studying surveillance video from the hotel. The footage was unlikely to be made public, Whitmore said.
Officials asked anyone who spotted anything suspicious to contact the sheriff's department. Sheriff's detectives were working with security officials from the hotel.
"The Ritz-Carlton has some of the best hotel security in the nation," Whitmore said. "We're confident that our leads, and the surveillance video will help us solve this."
Whitmore said the work by the Dutch master was valued at $250,000.
The drawing was part of an exhibit at the hotel sponsored by San Francisco's Linearis Institute. A call to the institute was not immediately returned Sunday.
art, crime, california news
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Market streets in SF 34 min ago
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Officials investigate cause of house fire
- High surf advisory issued for Bay Area beaches 14 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos