Calif. home to 88 of Forbes' 400 richest Americans
The Golden State boasts the most billionaires living within its borders among all U.S. states, according to calculations by Forbes to determine the 400 richest Americans.
Of course, if you control for population, Wyoming, Montana, New York, Connecticut and Nevada all have a higher per-capita concentration of billionaires. But California has a couple of billionaires for every million people living in the state.
Oracle co-founder and CEO Larry Ellison is the richest Californian, with a net worth of $33 billion, and the third-richest American behind Bill Gates ($59 billion) and Warren Buffett ($39 billion).
The vast majority of California's billionaires are older than 50, but two are still in their 20s and work at Facebook. With a net worth of $17.5 billion, 27-year-old Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg is the second-richest Californian and 14th-richest American, according to Forbes. Facebook co-founder Dustin Moskovitz is also 27, and Forbes estimates his net worth at $3.5 billion.
Googlers Larry Page and Sergey Brin are both 38, among the youngest billionaires, and rank just behind Zuckerberg. They are tied for third-richest Californian and 15th-richest American.
Nationwide, eight out of every nine billionaires on the list is older than 50. For the full list, visit www.forbes.com/forbes-400.
Story courtesy of our media partners at California Watch (A Project of the Center for Investigative Reporting)
california watch, larry ellison, mark zuckerberg, steve jobs, google, facebook, oracle, apple, california news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos