Loaded gun falls out of bag at LAX
LOS ANGELES -- A loaded handgun fell out of a checked bag being loaded onto an airliner at Los Angeles International Airport.
It's legal to carry an unloaded firearm in checked luggage on flights as long as passengers notify the airline.
The Los Angeles Times says Alaska Airlines wasn't notified about the .38-caliber handgun that tumbled out of a duffel bag being loaded onto a Portland-bound flight on Sunday morning. The gun owner, whose name hasn't been released, was questioned by police and was allowed to board a later flight for Oregon.
Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman Lorie Dankers says the bag passed screening for explosives.
She says the TSA screens for firearms in carry-on luggage but adds it's not the agency's responsibility to detect firearms in checked luggage.
southern california, los angeles, guns, airport security, TSA, california news
- Jahi McMath's family to hold rally, march in Oakland 14 min ago
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal 21 min ago
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Jahi McMath's mother writes letter about daughter 46 min ago
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control
- Neighbors: Nevada gunman had botched vasectomy
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Some stores offering last minute holiday...
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos