Surfer hospitalized after shark attack on Saturday
MONTEREY BAY, Calif. (KGO) -- A surfer is in good condition in a San Jose hospital after a shark attack near the Monterey Bay.
Authorities believe the shark that attacked 27-year-old Eric Tarantino Saturday morning may have been a great white.
Tarantino was surfing at Marina State Beach when the attack happened. Tarantino managed to get away from the shark and swim ashore after several bites.
Friend Brandon McKibbon was surfing with Tarantino about 150 yards off the shore when the shark attacked.
"I came down over the top of the wave," McKibbon said. "I heard him screaming 'shark, shark' and at that point I didn't know what was going on."
Tarantino had gashes in his arm and his neck, narrowly missing his jugular. By the time Tarantino got to shore, he was starting to slip into shock.
Paramedics airlifted Tarantino to San Jose Medical Center.
sharks, monterey bay, california news
- Man killed after metal pipe crashes into car on I-580
- Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Oklahoma town 50 min ago
- Passenger vehicles face surprise inspections at SFO
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose
- UK official: London attack could be terror-related
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe 37 min ago
- 49ers Michael Crabtree tears right Achilles tendon 12 min ago
- IRS official Lois Lerner: I did nothing wrong
- Arias jury deadlocked but must keep deliberating 49 min ago
- Snacking deputy's crash costs Santa Clara Co. $5M
- Helen Mirren steps in to help grant dying boy's wish 21 min ago
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Harvey Milk events; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Oklahoma town
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos