Surfer hospitalized after shark attack on Saturday
MONTEREY BAY, Calif. (KGO) -- A surfer is in good condition in a San Jose hospital after a shark attack near the Monterey Bay.
Authorities believe the shark that attacked 27-year-old Eric Tarantino Saturday morning may have been a great white.
Tarantino was surfing at Marina State Beach when the attack happened. Tarantino managed to get away from the shark and swim ashore after several bites.
Friend Brandon McKibbon was surfing with Tarantino about 150 yards off the shore when the shark attacked.
"I came down over the top of the wave," McKibbon said. "I heard him screaming 'shark, shark' and at that point I didn't know what was going on."
Tarantino had gashes in his arm and his neck, narrowly missing his jugular. By the time Tarantino got to shore, he was starting to slip into shock.
Paramedics airlifted Tarantino to San Jose Medical Center.
sharks, monterey bay, california news
- Target apologizes after massive data breach
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- CPUC considering fine against PG&E for faulty pipeline
- Katie Couric's talk show to end after this season 23 min ago
- BART board approves contract with AFSCME
- Four boys cited for wielding replica pistol in Hercules 49 min ago
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching 33 min ago
- Pa. man wins $1M Picasso with $138 raffle ticket 16 min ago
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea 30 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos