Couples await final decision on Prop 8
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco City Hall has seen more than its share of history. Same sex marriage is just one of the chapters, but a personal one for John Lewis and Stuart Gaffney, who said their vows in the building.
"It was at that moment that I felt for the first time I was an equal human being in the eyes of our government," Lewis said.
That passion for equality the drove them to the streets Tuesday, as the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Proposition 8, much to the frustration of its supporters.
"Well it was expected; this is just another stop on the way to the Supreme Court," Catholics for a Common Good spokesperson Bill May said.
The longer it takes to reach a final decision, the more the frustration for same-sex couples like Jeff Tabaco and Thom Watson, who say their relationship would be complete with a marriage certificate. They have both romantic and practical considerations.
"Jeff covers me on his health insurance; he is taxed on that as though it is an additional salary, married couples are not taxed that way," Watson said.
So they, too, marched Tuesday morning and won't be stopping anytime soon.
"This is very important to us; getting married is one of the big steps you take in life," Watson said.
same sex marriage, 9th u.s. circuit court of appeals, california news, wayne freedman
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos