Killer won't reveal more locations until he gets money
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KGO) -- The surviving "Speed Freak" killer is making a new threat, even as test results confirm the identities of additional victims. Wesley Shermantine says he won't reveal any more locations where bodies are buried unless he's shown the money.
Shermantine wants the $33,000 promised to him by bounty hunter Leonard Padilla before he says another word. Padilla says he believes Shermantine has told him the truth so far. So now Shermantine is saying there are two more locations where his partner, Loren Herzog, dumped bodies.
That would make five sites. The first one, in Calavaras County, is where authorities found the suspected remains of Cyndi Vanderheiden and Chevelle Wheeler. Their remains have now been positively identified. Then, there are the two wells Shermantine drew on the original map for Padilla. But apparently, there will be no map of the two new sites -- until after he gets the balance of the $33,000. Padilla says more than half of the money will go to victims' families.
Padilla says on Sunday he and Shermantine agreed to a $2,000 down payment - that check's in the mail. We don't know if Padilla will rush the rest of the money in exchange for the new information.
speed freak killers, sacramento, crime, california news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday