Body found in burned home after daylong standoff
MODESTO, Calif. (KGO) -- A body has been found in the charred remains of a home in the Central Valley that went up in flames Thursday night. It was the culmination of a deadly standoff between an armed double-murder suspect and police in Modesto.
After Thursday night's inferno, there was not much left of the fourplex on Chrysler Drive in Modesto. It was tragic result of a daylong standoff that left three people dead, including 35-year-old locksmith Glendon Engert and 53-year-old Stanislaus County Sheriff's Deputy Robert Paris.
"There were like six cops carrying the police officer to safety," said a witness.
The body inside the house is presumed to be the gunman who shot Paris and Engert as they tried to evict him Thursday morning.
"His name is Jim, a very quiet man, kept to himself for the most part," said neighbor Jonathan Mullinix.
Mullinix says he knows the suspect police won't identify. But according to court and DMV records he is James Ferrario, in his mid-40s.
"He had a couple different rifles, shotguns, handguns," said Mullinix.
A black SUV registered to Ferrario is sitting in front of the burned out home, its windows smashed.
The fire came 11 hours after the shooting as police tried to flush out the suspect. At different points, SWAT teams used robots to toss flash grenades and tear gas canisters into the house, where they had several interactions with the suspect.
"The robot was able to knock down a refrigerator that was place inside the apartment complex to block the window," said Mark Pazen from the Merced County Sheriff. "And the individual was trying to put throw pillows and blankets over it thinking, correctly, we had a camera at the end of it."
Investigators spent the day collecting evidence from the burned out house and a bomb squad was brought in to make sure the suspect didn't leave any explosives behind.
shooting, central valley, crime, fire, california news, laura anthony
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests 19 min ago
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force 36 min ago
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
32 min ago
- City College San Francisco protests lead to...
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos