Woman talks about pants on fire
A woman in Southern California spoke publicly for the first time Friday after a very unusual accident sent her to the hospital with severe burns.
Lyn Hiner's children collected some rocks during an outing to San Onofre State Beach on Saturday. Hiner put them in the pocket of her cargo shorts after picking them up from the floor inside her home, four hours later, she felt something weird.
"And all of a sudden, something hot on my leg just sort of started to bother me and so I started to think it was a bug bite and so I started slapping it and the next thing you know my shorts are on fire," said Hiner.
Lab tests revealed at least one of the rocks was covered with phosphorus. That's the flammable orange chemical found on the tip of a match.
"It'll burn right through flesh, bone, and skin. I've never heard of anything like this before," said Michio Kakai, Ph.D., from the City University of New York.
Another scientist believes that Mother Nature is not to blame, he says the phosphorus wasn't naturally part of the rock and he believes that it was human made.
southern california, fire, california news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos