High school honors only openly-lesbian couple
SAN ANDREA, Calif. (KGO) -- A high school senior class in the Sierra foothills is honoring the school's only openly lesbian couple.
Calaveras High School is in San Andreas, about an hour east of Stockton. Students there have voted seniors Becca Fernandez and Destinee Gates "Ccutest Couple" with their photo in the yearbook. The two have been together since their freshman year.
"It's a big deal because we're from a really conservative county and it hasn't happened before," Destinee said.
"Calaveras County, a lot of our rural counties, often get stereotyped as being un-accepting, maybe only one type of mentality and so forth, and I think that's a false perception," Principal Ric Stitt said.
Becca and Destinee say their classmates have been accepting. The two plan to attend college together in the fall nearby.
lgbt, california news
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont 9 min ago
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire 32 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Good Samaritan alerts family to burning home
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 37 min ago
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
32 min ago
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
37 min ago