High school honors only openly-lesbian couple
SAN ANDREA, Calif. (KGO) -- A high school senior class in the Sierra foothills is honoring the school's only openly lesbian couple.
Calaveras High School is in San Andreas, about an hour east of Stockton. Students there have voted seniors Becca Fernandez and Destinee Gates "Ccutest Couple" with their photo in the yearbook. The two have been together since their freshman year.
"It's a big deal because we're from a really conservative county and it hasn't happened before," Destinee said.
"Calaveras County, a lot of our rural counties, often get stereotyped as being un-accepting, maybe only one type of mentality and so forth, and I think that's a false perception," Principal Ric Stitt said.
Becca and Destinee say their classmates have been accepting. The two plan to attend college together in the fall nearby.
lgbt, california news
- Protesters vacate CCSF building, head to city hall
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Bay Bridge bike path temporarily closed for work 22 min ago
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Manhunt on for Bay Area ATM robber
- Outkast, The Cure to headline BottleRock in Napa
- Quiznos files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths 15 min ago
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank' 34 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Uber insurance policy; BottleRock lineup
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 27 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
23 min ago
- Search for lost jet expands amid signs it...
57 min ago
- Bay Bridge bike path temporarily closed for...
22 min ago
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's...
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos