High school honors only openly-lesbian couple
SAN ANDREA, Calif. (KGO) -- A high school senior class in the Sierra foothills is honoring the school's only openly lesbian couple.
Calaveras High School is in San Andreas, about an hour east of Stockton. Students there have voted seniors Becca Fernandez and Destinee Gates "Ccutest Couple" with their photo in the yearbook. The two have been together since their freshman year.
"It's a big deal because we're from a really conservative county and it hasn't happened before," Destinee said.
"Calaveras County, a lot of our rural counties, often get stereotyped as being un-accepting, maybe only one type of mentality and so forth, and I think that's a false perception," Principal Ric Stitt said.
Becca and Destinee say their classmates have been accepting. The two plan to attend college together in the fall nearby.
lgbt, california news
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma tornado 1 min ago
- Firefighters save Vallejo man in apartment fire
- Man goes missing after Bay to Breakers race
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks
- NFL owners to announce Super Bowl 50 host city
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- roundup: Mountain lion spotted; Palo Alto murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday