High school honors only openly-lesbian couple
SAN ANDREA, Calif. (KGO) -- A high school senior class in the Sierra foothills is honoring the school's only openly lesbian couple.
Calaveras High School is in San Andreas, about an hour east of Stockton. Students there have voted seniors Becca Fernandez and Destinee Gates "Ccutest Couple" with their photo in the yearbook. The two have been together since their freshman year.
"It's a big deal because we're from a really conservative county and it hasn't happened before," Destinee said.
"Calaveras County, a lot of our rural counties, often get stereotyped as being un-accepting, maybe only one type of mentality and so forth, and I think that's a false perception," Principal Ric Stitt said.
Becca and Destinee say their classmates have been accepting. The two plan to attend college together in the fall nearby.
lgbt, california news
- Target apologizes after massive data breach
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- CPUC considering fine against PG&E for faulty pipeline
- Katie Couric's talk show to end after this season
- BART board approves contract with AFSCME
- Four boys cited for wielding replica pistol in Hercules
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching
- Pa. man wins $1M Picasso with $138 raffle ticket
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos