Drug rehabilitation counselor arrested for selling drugs
SANTA CRUZ COUNTY, Calif. -- A drug rehabilitation counselor was arrested this week on suspicion of selling heroin from her home in unincorporated Capitola and has since been suspended from the Santa Cruz counseling center where she worked, authorities said.
Kirstin Dempsey, 33, was arrested at about 3 p.m. Wednesday when sheriff's deputies served a search warrant at her home in the 3400 block of Kenilworth Lane as part of an ongoing investigation into the sale of drugs there, Santa Cruz County sheriff's officials said.
Deputies found 6.7 grams of heroin, packaging materials, cash and other items related to drug sales at the home and arrested Dempsey on suspicion of possession of heroin for sale, according to the sheriff's office.
Dempsey has worked as a part-time counselor for about a year at the Santa Cruz office of ALTO Counseling Center, which is part of the Santa Cruz Community Counseling Center, according to Will O'Sullivan, the center's director of adult substance abuse treatment services.
"As we learned of this, we suspended her as the court process proceeds," O'Sullivan said.
"Of course we're looking into the circumstances and will take appropriate personnel action," he said, adding that the details of the case that have been released by the sheriff's office were "very concerning."
capitola, santa cruz county, drugs, california news
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- Freeze Warning in place for most of the Bay Area
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Deputy who fatally shot Andy Lopez to return to work
- 5 displaced in two-alarm apartment fire in Alameda
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday