Drug rehabilitation counselor arrested for selling drugs
SANTA CRUZ COUNTY, Calif. -- A drug rehabilitation counselor was arrested this week on suspicion of selling heroin from her home in unincorporated Capitola and has since been suspended from the Santa Cruz counseling center where she worked, authorities said.
Kirstin Dempsey, 33, was arrested at about 3 p.m. Wednesday when sheriff's deputies served a search warrant at her home in the 3400 block of Kenilworth Lane as part of an ongoing investigation into the sale of drugs there, Santa Cruz County sheriff's officials said.
Deputies found 6.7 grams of heroin, packaging materials, cash and other items related to drug sales at the home and arrested Dempsey on suspicion of possession of heroin for sale, according to the sheriff's office.
Dempsey has worked as a part-time counselor for about a year at the Santa Cruz office of ALTO Counseling Center, which is part of the Santa Cruz Community Counseling Center, according to Will O'Sullivan, the center's director of adult substance abuse treatment services.
"As we learned of this, we suspended her as the court process proceeds," O'Sullivan said.
"Of course we're looking into the circumstances and will take appropriate personnel action," he said, adding that the details of the case that have been released by the sheriff's office were "very concerning."
capitola, santa cruz county, drugs, california news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case