Drug rehabilitation counselor arrested for selling drugs
SANTA CRUZ COUNTY, Calif. -- A drug rehabilitation counselor was arrested this week on suspicion of selling heroin from her home in unincorporated Capitola and has since been suspended from the Santa Cruz counseling center where she worked, authorities said.
Kirstin Dempsey, 33, was arrested at about 3 p.m. Wednesday when sheriff's deputies served a search warrant at her home in the 3400 block of Kenilworth Lane as part of an ongoing investigation into the sale of drugs there, Santa Cruz County sheriff's officials said.
Deputies found 6.7 grams of heroin, packaging materials, cash and other items related to drug sales at the home and arrested Dempsey on suspicion of possession of heroin for sale, according to the sheriff's office.
Dempsey has worked as a part-time counselor for about a year at the Santa Cruz office of ALTO Counseling Center, which is part of the Santa Cruz Community Counseling Center, according to Will O'Sullivan, the center's director of adult substance abuse treatment services.
"As we learned of this, we suspended her as the court process proceeds," O'Sullivan said.
"Of course we're looking into the circumstances and will take appropriate personnel action," he said, adding that the details of the case that have been released by the sheriff's office were "very concerning."
capitola, santa cruz county, drugs, california news
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 44 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland 57 min ago
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch 18 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter 21 min ago
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday