Monterey Bay Aquarium's sea otter 'Super Mom' dies
MONTEREY, Calif. (KGO) -- The Monterey Bay Aquarium announced the death of Joy the otter, better known as Super Mom, Thursday morning.
Joy was very noticeable at the aquarium because of her blonde head. She got the name Super Mom because she raised 16 stranded sea otter pups, more than any otter in captivity.
Joy was a stranded pup herself and found in 1998 at Twin Lakes State Beach in Santa Cruz.
She was 14 years old and died of old age.
monterey county, monterey bay aquarium, animal, california news
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake 2 min ago
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Police investigating shooting in Richmond 42 min ago
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed