Gov. Brown in SF to push Proposition 30
Governor Jerry Brown is in San Francisco, with Bay Area educators, talking about his tax initiative to prevent cuts to public education.
Brown was at James Lick Middle School to make his pitch for Prop 30, which would involve temporary tax hikes. It would raise the sales tax a quarter cent for four years and income tax on families making over $250,000 a year for seven years. The money would primarily go for kindergarten through 12th grade education and community colleges. The governor said schools have suffered deep cuts and would suffer even more cuts if the proposition is not passed. He called the proposition reasonable and crucial.
"Over the last 30 years, those at the top have doubled their share of income. I'm just saying please, give back one or two or three percent over the next seven years and the kids of California will be much better for it and you''ll be better for it and our whole state will be able to go forward in a very solid way. So that is the pitch and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure Proposition 30 wins," said Brown.
The no on Prop 30 campaign released this statement:
"Politicians want to raise sales taxes $1 billion per year so they can continue the wasteful spending exposed by pay raises, the Parks scandal, and bloated pensions they refuse to reform. The $50 billion tax hike will bring state spending to its highest level ever, including the bullet train that would pay for 4,000 teachers per year."
jerry brown, california budget crisis, california news
- Jahi McMath's family to hold rally, march in Oakland 19 min ago
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Jahi McMath's mother writes letter about daughter 18 min ago
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control
- Neighbors: Nevada gunman had botched vasectomy
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Some stores offering last minute holiday...
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos