Gov. Brown in SF to push Proposition 30
Governor Jerry Brown is in San Francisco, with Bay Area educators, talking about his tax initiative to prevent cuts to public education.
Brown was at James Lick Middle School to make his pitch for Prop 30, which would involve temporary tax hikes. It would raise the sales tax a quarter cent for four years and income tax on families making over $250,000 a year for seven years. The money would primarily go for kindergarten through 12th grade education and community colleges. The governor said schools have suffered deep cuts and would suffer even more cuts if the proposition is not passed. He called the proposition reasonable and crucial.
"Over the last 30 years, those at the top have doubled their share of income. I'm just saying please, give back one or two or three percent over the next seven years and the kids of California will be much better for it and you''ll be better for it and our whole state will be able to go forward in a very solid way. So that is the pitch and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure Proposition 30 wins," said Brown.
The no on Prop 30 campaign released this statement:
"Politicians want to raise sales taxes $1 billion per year so they can continue the wasteful spending exposed by pay raises, the Parks scandal, and bloated pensions they refuse to reform. The $50 billion tax hike will bring state spending to its highest level ever, including the bullet train that would pay for 4,000 teachers per year."
jerry brown, california budget crisis, california news
- SF officials prepare for 102nd Bay to Breakers race
- 8th stage of Amgen Tour of California kicks off in SF
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Shooting in Oakland kills 1, injures another
- Crews battle fire at inner Mission apartment building 40 min ago
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos