Search underway for missing college student
LAFAYETTE, Calif. (KGO) -- Search crews are out this weekend looking for a college student from Lafayette who went missing during a tubing trip on the Sacramento River.
20-year-old Brett Olson, a Cal Poly student, vanished Sunday after setting out on the river in an inner tube. He was on a portion of the river just south of Chico when he became separated from his friends. Friends say he had been drinking.A video, posted on YouTube, was taken at a spot they call "Beer Can Beach." It's the last place he was seen and according to investigators, his parents are combing through other similar video clips to see if they can spot their son.
Watercraft from Butte County will be on the river through the weekend looking for Olson. Authorities say it's possible he got lost in the brush around the beach. Social media is also being used to raise awareness. Olympian Kerri Walsh posted a message on her Facebook page with the hashtag #FindBrettOlson and the "Let's bring Brett home" page has more than 86,000 members. Olson is 6'1" and about 160lbs with hazel eyes. The Glenn County Sheriff's Department is leading the investigation and asks that anyone with information please contact them at 530-934-6431. Two fundraisers were held in Lafayette Friday night for Olson. According to the "Let's Bring Brett Home" Facebook page, a post from Olson's father says there is now a $50,000 reward for information that leads them to his son.
lafayette, facebook, missing person, holiday, labor day, california news
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash 43 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday 32 min ago
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
34 min ago