Search underway for missing college student
LAFAYETTE, Calif. (KGO) -- Search crews are out this weekend looking for a college student from Lafayette who went missing during a tubing trip on the Sacramento River.
20-year-old Brett Olson, a Cal Poly student, vanished Sunday after setting out on the river in an inner tube. He was on a portion of the river just south of Chico when he became separated from his friends. Friends say he had been drinking.A video, posted on YouTube, was taken at a spot they call "Beer Can Beach." It's the last place he was seen and according to investigators, his parents are combing through other similar video clips to see if they can spot their son.
Watercraft from Butte County will be on the river through the weekend looking for Olson. Authorities say it's possible he got lost in the brush around the beach. Social media is also being used to raise awareness. Olympian Kerri Walsh posted a message on her Facebook page with the hashtag #FindBrettOlson and the "Let's bring Brett home" page has more than 86,000 members. Olson is 6'1" and about 160lbs with hazel eyes. The Glenn County Sheriff's Department is leading the investigation and asks that anyone with information please contact them at 530-934-6431. Two fundraisers were held in Lafayette Friday night for Olson. According to the "Let's Bring Brett Home" Facebook page, a post from Olson's father says there is now a $50,000 reward for information that leads them to his son.
lafayette, facebook, missing person, holiday, labor day, california news
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma tornado 25 min ago
- Firefighters save Vallejo man in apartment fire
- Man goes missing after Bay to Breakers race
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks
- NFL owners to announce Super Bowl 50 host city
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- roundup: Mountain lion spotted; Palo Alto murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday