Missing college student's body has been found
LAFAYETTE, Calif. (KGO) -- The body of a missing college student was recovered Sunday morning on the Sacramento River, downstream from an area known by locals as "Beer Can Beach."
It's been nearly a week since 20-year-old Brett Olson vanished, and lots of people from his hometown of Lafayette have made plenty of efforts to pitch in. At the top of the hill overlooking his former high school, students earlier this week scrawled out a message with white chalk that simply reads "Brett."The Cal Poly student was last seen at a mass inner tubing event on the Sacramento River on Labor Day. He was one of hundreds of college students who traveled to Chico for the annual gathering. A large scale search was quickly launched, including fliers distributed around his hometown of Lafayette, as well as Chico and the surrounding areas.
A local burrito restaurant in Lafayette held a fundraiser Friday and raised $4,000 to help pay for the continuing search. But on Sunday morning a body was discovered by people fishing along the river. The family has positively identified the body as the 20-year-old. Chico police thanked people for their search efforts, "It's significant that they spent essentially a week helping to look for him," Chico Police Lt. Mike O'Brien said. "And unfortunately it came to a tragic ending. But, their efforts were not in vain. They did the right thing." According to Chico police, Olson drowned. They say there are no signs of foul play, and any results from toxicology will not be available for a few more weeks.
lafayette, facebook, missing person, holiday, labor day, california news
- SFPD SWAT in standoff with shooting suspect
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos