Missing college student's body has been found
LAFAYETTE, Calif. (KGO) -- The body of a missing college student was recovered Sunday morning on the Sacramento River, downstream from an area known by locals as "Beer Can Beach."
It's been nearly a week since 20-year-old Brett Olson vanished, and lots of people from his hometown of Lafayette have made plenty of efforts to pitch in. At the top of the hill overlooking his former high school, students earlier this week scrawled out a message with white chalk that simply reads "Brett."The Cal Poly student was last seen at a mass inner tubing event on the Sacramento River on Labor Day. He was one of hundreds of college students who traveled to Chico for the annual gathering. A large scale search was quickly launched, including fliers distributed around his hometown of Lafayette, as well as Chico and the surrounding areas.
A local burrito restaurant in Lafayette held a fundraiser Friday and raised $4,000 to help pay for the continuing search. But on Sunday morning a body was discovered by people fishing along the river. The family has positively identified the body as the 20-year-old. Chico police thanked people for their search efforts, "It's significant that they spent essentially a week helping to look for him," Chico Police Lt. Mike O'Brien said. "And unfortunately it came to a tragic ending. But, their efforts were not in vain. They did the right thing." According to Chico police, Olson drowned. They say there are no signs of foul play, and any results from toxicology will not be available for a few more weeks.
lafayette, facebook, missing person, holiday, labor day, california news
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 17 min ago
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer 2 min ago
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief 8 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash
- Investigators to speak with shot San...
2 min ago