Hero dog that lost snout in crash gets treatment at UC Davis
DAVIS, Calif. (KGO) -- A heroic dog that risked its own life to save the lives of two young girls in the Philippines is getting much needed help from a group of UC Davis veterinarians.
DISCLAIMER: Some may consider video of the injured dog difficult to watch.
Kabang is on American soil looking for a miracle. Much of her face was sheared off about a year ago in the Philippines after she threw herself in front of a motorcycle that was about hit her owner's daughter and niece. The heroics to save the young girls have garnered her international fame.
"Wow, that just goes to show how much our pets love us unconditionally and will save us," dog owner Becky Huls said.
The world-renowned UC Davis Veterinary Hospital is looking to see what they can do for the hero dog, brought to California by Kabang's vet in the Philippines, Anton Lim.
While Kabang seems to be able to eat and do other normal things, a website raised the $20,000 needed for her flight and care.
"I followed some of their latest innovations, and we're very hopeful that Kabang will get the best and modern care that she needs," Lim said.
Dog owners come to UC Davis animal hospital from far and near to get help. One dog named Batman was outfitted with a wheelchair after getting hit with a car and another named Whiskey recently got a cutting-edge, but lifesaving, operation for a new jawbone.
People at UC Davis are rooting for Kabang.
"It's remarkable and it's amazing; she got the funding to do that, and we just hope we can do whatever we can to make her happy, healthy and be able to enjoy life like she deserves," Anjali Daryani said.
Vets believe Kabang will need at least two surgeries. One for dental work and the second would attempt to close the gaping wound on her face.
animal, animals in peril, uc davis, california news, nannette miranda
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame 40 min ago
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption 59 min ago
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County 24 min ago
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 27 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
25 min ago
- Police visit homes of missing jetliner's...
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos