Police: Gun used by shooter at Calif. plant stolen
FRESNO, Calif. -- The handgun used by a former convict to shoot co-workers execution-style at a Central California chicken processing plant was stolen in a residential burglary in June, a police chief said Wednesday.
It wasn't clear who stole the four-shot Derringer handgun or how the suspect in the Nov. 6 attack acquired it, Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said at a news conference. The serial numbers on the gun had been filed off, but federal investigators were able to raise the numbers and match them to the stolen gun, he said.
Lawrence Nathaniel Jones shot four co-workers, two fatally, in the middle of his morning shift at Valley Protein, investigators have said. The 42-year-old then took his own life. A motive hasn't been established.
One of the victims, Arnulfo Conrriguez, who was shot in the neck, remains in stable condition at Fresno's Community Regional Medical Center, Dyer said.
A toxicology test revealed traces of marijuana but no other street drugs in Jones' body, Fresno County Coroner David Hadden said last week. A second test is being conducted to reveal if Jones took psychiatric drugs or other substances, he said.
A Fresno County mental health evaluation in 2004 diagnosed Jones with intermittent explosive disorder, drug-induced psychotic disorder and dependence on multiple substances including amphetamine, marijuana and alcohol.
Jones often refused medication and was described by staff as mentally unstable, according to the evaluation.
Intermittent explosive disorder is a condition marked by sudden aggression that appears out of proportion to any external stress, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. To be diagnosed with it, a person must have had three such aggressive episodes.
The shooter's family members told investigators that Jones had violent tendencies, Dyer said.
shooting, fresno, california news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake 31 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse 54 min ago
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco 15 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- One dead after house fire in Oakland
- California criminal behind 3-strikes law arrested 47 min ago
- MasterCard, Visa plan group focused on security 36 min ago
- Police arrest man, 3 teens for attempted home burglary 19 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos