4 bodies found face-down outside California house
LOS ANGELES -- The bodies of four people who had been shot to death were found face-down Sunday outside a suburban Southern California home that apparently served as an unlicensed boarding house, authorities said.
Los Angeles police were seeking a motive for the attacks at the house in Northridge, in the San Fernando Valley.
Lt. Terri Brinkmeyer said a 911 call led police to the large house around 4:30 a.m. Cmdr. Andrew Smith said the bodies of two men and two women were found face-down on a side yard of the property.
Investigators were questioning several people who were on the property at the time of the shooting, but no one has been detained or arrested.
Los Angeles City Councilman Mitchell Englander, who represents the area, said the house was split into several units for rent. He said at least a dozen people lived in the house, which contained several bedrooms, kitchenettes and mattresses on the floor.
"It appears from the nature of things that this was an unlicensed boarding facility," Englander said from the crime scene. He noted that one bedroom was only accessible through a window.
The house was on street lined with houses, schools and places of worship.
"This is a very safe neighborhood. This type of thing doesn't normally happen here," Englander said.
southern california, crime, shooting, guns, california news
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control
- Neighbors: Nevada gunman had botched vasectomy 3 min ago
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges 55 min ago
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday