UC Merced student group sponsors sex toy event
MERCED, Calif. (KGO) -- There's controversy on the UC Merced Campus after a student organization promoting health practices hosted a sex toy event.
The student health group known as H.E.R.O.E.S runs on a budget of $66,000 per academic year. When it sponsored the sex toy seminar, promoted on Facebook, critics argued that it was a waste of student fees.
Organizer says the event served an important purpose. "There's a lot of things that students don't know about sex toys. There's a lot of safety measures they should take beforehand and we thought it was vitally important for them to know that," UC Merced Health Group leader Stephanie Toledo said.
"When it comes to funding, the UC always seems to ask for more but when money is spent on things like this, it sounds like maybe they're not really thinking, not getting their priority straight when it comes to spending," said Maurice Lewis with UC Merced College Republicans.
In the face of critics, the organization argues that students have a right to choose which events are important to them.
UC, facebook, republicans, california news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case