Lost couple found, only one survives
A woman's story of survival is emerging after she was lost in the Sierras for six days. Unfortunately, her boyfriend, didn't make it.
Paula Lane's brother found her Wednesday night in Alpine County. Deputies say she and Roderick Clifton went off road after leaving Sacramento last Thursday, to try out his new four-wheel drive Jeep. Then the storms hit and they got stuck in the snow.
Clifton left the car to find help. When he didn't return after a few days, Lane set out on her own. Official search crews couldn't find them, so her brother started looking on his own.
"And last night when my brother called, I took the call, and to hear him say 'I found her, I found her'... I can't explain it for you guys," said Linda Hathaway, Lane's sister.
Lane survived by taking shelter in a hollow tree, and eating snow and tomatoes she had gotten from relatives.
Deputies say Clifton drove around a locked gate on a closed dirt road off Highway 89.
missing person, sierra, california news
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California 37 min ago
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 34 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Little progress made in search for missing...
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos