Gov. Brown being treated for prostate cancer
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Governor Jerry Brown's office revealed something of a health scare for the governor Wednesday, announcing that he's undergoing radiation treatment for early stage cancer.
Gov. Brown's office describes his condition as "localized prostate cancer." UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center, which is not treating the governor, says that means the cancer is not spreading. This is Brown's second bout with cancer. He received treatment for skin cancer on his nose in April of 2011. Shortly after that, he walked around the Capitol with wearing a bandage after having the growth surgically removed.
For this prostate cancer, the 74-year-old is being treated at UC San Francisco. Oncologist Dr. Eric Small says that fortunately, the cancer is in its early stages. It's being treated with a short course of conventional radio therapy and the treatment will continue through the week of January 7. The doctor also said the prognosis is excellent there no significant side effects are expected.
The governor's staff indicated he will work a full schedule during the treatment which cancer experts say is what he should do. "74-years-old, the average life expectancy is about 11 years. Now, our governor isn't average so he's looking, I'm sure, at much more than that," said Dr. Ralph DeVere at the UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center. "And that is why he had his prostate cancer treated."
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men. More than 241,000 new cases are expected to be diagnosed in the United States in 2012.
cancer, jerry brown, UCSF, california news, nannette miranda
- Sheriff: Suspect in Colorado school shooting dead 23 min ago
- Man survives fiery explosion at Hayward home
- EMT killed in fiery crash on I-580 remembered
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M
- Photos: Colorado high school shooting
- Board approves eminent domain move for train 38 min ago
- Survey: Average American leaves $177,000 to heirs 16 min ago
- Vigils to mark first anniversary of Newtown shooting
- String of water mains break overnight in Millbrae
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Saturday
- roundup: SF stabbing; Water main breaks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday