Gov. Brown being treated for prostate cancer
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Governor Jerry Brown's office revealed something of a health scare for the governor Wednesday, announcing that he's undergoing radiation treatment for early stage cancer.
Gov. Brown's office describes his condition as "localized prostate cancer." UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center, which is not treating the governor, says that means the cancer is not spreading. This is Brown's second bout with cancer. He received treatment for skin cancer on his nose in April of 2011. Shortly after that, he walked around the Capitol with wearing a bandage after having the growth surgically removed.
For this prostate cancer, the 74-year-old is being treated at UC San Francisco. Oncologist Dr. Eric Small says that fortunately, the cancer is in its early stages. It's being treated with a short course of conventional radio therapy and the treatment will continue through the week of January 7. The doctor also said the prognosis is excellent there no significant side effects are expected.
The governor's staff indicated he will work a full schedule during the treatment which cancer experts say is what he should do. "74-years-old, the average life expectancy is about 11 years. Now, our governor isn't average so he's looking, I'm sure, at much more than that," said Dr. Ralph DeVere at the UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center. "And that is why he had his prostate cancer treated."
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men. More than 241,000 new cases are expected to be diagnosed in the United States in 2012.
cancer, jerry brown, UCSF, california news, nannette miranda
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- Bay Area wakes up to frost as cold snap hits 32 min ago
- Crews call for reinforcements to find missing family
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- Obama, in speech, to focus on income disparities
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Sketch released of suspect in violent robberies
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- 7OYS helps woman get refund after misleading ad 27 min ago
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: Murder trial; Bank robbery arrest
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday 48 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
29 min ago