CHP reports drops in DUI arrests over holiday
Over the Christmas holiday weekend, DUI arrests were down, but fatal collisions were up in the Bay Area from a year ago, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The CHP reported that 165 people were arrested for driving under the influence over the holiday weekend.
Three fatal collisions were reported over the weekend, the CHP said.
A year ago during the Christmas weekend, the CHP reported 188 DUI arrests, but no fatal collisions.
Statewide, there were 1170 DUI arrests made, up nearly 200 more than the 980 arrests made in 2011.
A total of 23 fatal collisions were recorded in CHP patrolled roadways, up 13 from 2011.
On city patrolled roads, 16 fatal collisions were reported, up 12 from a year ago.
The reporting weekend was Dec. 21 at 6 p.m. through Christmas Day.
crime, DUI, christmas, holiday, california news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 59 min ago
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game 30 min ago
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Man fined $525 for refilling drink without paying 31 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- Firework thrown into bleachers during...
30 min ago