CHP reports drops in DUI arrests over holiday
Over the Christmas holiday weekend, DUI arrests were down, but fatal collisions were up in the Bay Area from a year ago, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The CHP reported that 165 people were arrested for driving under the influence over the holiday weekend.
Three fatal collisions were reported over the weekend, the CHP said.
A year ago during the Christmas weekend, the CHP reported 188 DUI arrests, but no fatal collisions.
Statewide, there were 1170 DUI arrests made, up nearly 200 more than the 980 arrests made in 2011.
A total of 23 fatal collisions were recorded in CHP patrolled roadways, up 13 from 2011.
On city patrolled roads, 16 fatal collisions were reported, up 12 from a year ago.
The reporting weekend was Dec. 21 at 6 p.m. through Christmas Day.
crime, DUI, christmas, holiday, california news
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 55 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week 5 min ago
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos