Dozen people rescued from frozen pond's icy waters
WRIGHTWOOD, Calif. (KGO) -- A sledding expedition went horribly wrong in the San Gabriel Mountains. The drama, on a frozen pond in Wrightwood in San Bernardino County, was caught on video.
It almost turned into a Christmas Day disaster when a man fell through the ice, setting off a chain reaction. One person after another tried to save him, only to fall in themselves.
"We saw this guy coming across the ice really fast, and it went from cheering to all of the sudden, just an unbelievable amount of panic and chaos," witness Mickey Herman said.
A crowd gathered on shore, frantically screaming for help. At one point, 12 people were in the water.
Everyone was eventually pulled to shore. No one was hurt
southern california, ice, water, rescue, california news
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight 20 min ago
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond 18 min ago
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers 1 min ago
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
17 min ago