Couple arrested in Sacramento New Year's eve shooting
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Police have arrested a couple they say were connected to a New Year's Eve shooting in a Sacramento bar that killed two people and wounded three others, including the suspected gunman.
Amber Scholz, 36, instigated an altercation and her husband, Charles Fowler-Scholz, 34, was involved in a fight before the shooting at the Sports Corner Cafe in the Old Sacramento area on Monday night, police said. The couple were arrested Friday on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon.
Police did not release details, and did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press.
The suspected gunman in the shooting - Carlito Montoya - is also in custody. The 22-year-old was wounded by an armed security guard at the bar. He ran out of the bar toward a street crowded with holiday revelers but was caught quickly by officers chasing him, police said.
Montoya was in custody at an undisclosed hospital where he was being treated for his wounds.
The security guard and a 30-year-old woman at the bar were also wounded. Police said their injuries were not considered to be life threatening.
The shooting prompted police to cancel Sacramento's New Year's Eve midnight fireworks show that was expected to draw as many as 40,000 people. The pyrotechnics were instead detonated on Tuesday morning, startling residents of neighborhoods along the Sacramento River, according to the Sacramento Bee.
sacramento, shooting, state
- One dead, another critical in San Francisco fire
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped 47 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF 38 min ago
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code 40 min ago
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting 1 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos