San Diego Zoo's new panda to make public debut
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (KGO) -- A baby panda made its first public appearance to a chorus of "ooos" and "awwws" at the San Diego Zoo. The 5-month-old male cub was brought out to meet its fans for a couple hours Thursday morning.
The baby panda is named Xiao Liwu, which means "little gift" in Chinese.
He's spent the past few months confined to a den with his mother. But he gathered a strong following of people who watched him on the zoo's panda cam.
The zoo will keep the cub behind the scenes for a while until he gets used to an audience.
animal, southern california, california news
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping 29 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in violent robberies
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- New chair lets users decide the temperature
- Local startup iHear to offer hearing aids online
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
36 min ago
- Milpitas police investigate possible...
29 min ago