San Diego Zoo's new panda to make public debut
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (KGO) -- A baby panda made its first public appearance to a chorus of "ooos" and "awwws" at the San Diego Zoo. The 5-month-old male cub was brought out to meet its fans for a couple hours Thursday morning.
The baby panda is named Xiao Liwu, which means "little gift" in Chinese.
He's spent the past few months confined to a den with his mother. But he gathered a strong following of people who watched him on the zoo's panda cam.
The zoo will keep the cub behind the scenes for a while until he gets used to an audience.
animal, southern california, california news
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- Obama hams it up for health care on Funny or Die
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos