SeaWorld welcomes new baby killer whale
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (KGO) -- A special Valentine's Day delivery arrived at SeaWorld in San Diego Thursday.
37-year-old killer whale Kasatka gave birth to a calf after an hour of labor at Shamu Stadium.
The baby whale is estimated to weigh between 300 and 350 pounds and measures six- to-seven feet. The gender of the calf is not yet known.
Park officials say that right after it was born, the calf instinctively swam to the surface for its first breath.
As with any killer whale birth, the mother and calf will be observed round the clock for the first few days.
southern california, animal, whale, pregnancy, california news
- Target apologizes after massive data breach 29 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes 4 min ago
- Oakland family requests feeding tube for girl 3 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus 27 min ago
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise 47 min ago
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Four boys cited for wielding replica pistol in Hercules
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla 32 min ago
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- BART Board president wants to ban transit...
4 min ago
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic...
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos