Horses, cattle rescued at abandoned property in San Ardo
SAN ARDO, Calif. -- The SPCA for Monterey County rescued a dozen cattle and horses that appear to have been abandoned at a property in the small community of San Ardo south of King City, a spokeswoman for the organization said.
SPCA personnel last week found three horses and nine cattle that were apparently left at the property on Pine Valley Road, spokeswoman Beth Brookhouser said.
The cattle were all suffering from malnutrition and two were emaciated, while two of the rescued horses were extremely thin, had sand in their stomachs and were suffering from lice infestations and fungal infections, Brookhouser said.
She said the third horse had to be put to sleep due to a painful broken hip left untreated.
The animals had no food and only foul, dirty water to drink.
SPCA personnel also found a dead horse and several dead cattle at the site, Brookhouser said.
The animal rescue organization was planning to vaccinate and examine the rescued cattle on Friday.
If caught, the owners of the apparently abandoned property could face animal cruelty and abandonment charges, according to the SPCA.
Anyone with information about this case is asked to call the SPCA for Monterey County at (831) 373-2631. All calls are confidential.
Those who wish to donate to help abused and neglected animals rescued by the SPCA for Monterey County may call (831) 264-5421 or visit www.SPCAmc.org.
monterey county, SPCA, animal, animals in peril, california news
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Richmond council votes for foreclosure prevention plan 47 min ago
- Online retailers take part in Free Shipping Day 21 min ago
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 US films to be preserved 42 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday